Monday, January 30, 2017

Good-bye Hollister, hello Mountain View and self driving cars


Last week was good other than leaving Hollister which I'm going to miss. I arrived in my new area, Mountain View, Tuesday. I live in Mountain View and cover all of that city plus Los Altos and Eagle Park. The area is not as big as Hollister, but has like 5 times the amount of people. Everyone here has so much money. They all have post grad degrees from places like Duke MIT and Harvard. There are a lot of really young (and rich) families. I see cars that literally drive themselves everyday. You just type in an address and the car does the rest, it's ridiculous, (btw, missionaries don't have these kind of cars). And everyone else who actually steers their cars, have vehicles that cost more than my life. Not sure I like this type place but I know I'll get used to it and will learn to love the people. 

The work here is a lot less than in Hollister. I support both the Los Altos and Eagle Park Wards. There are a few people I can see getting baptized soon so hopefully I'll have some bright spots. We definitely need to work on building the teaching pool.  My new companion is Elder Gartside. He is from Maryland and fell asleep in church....getting to be a tradition with my companions.

The best part of the week was going back to Hollister last Saturday to participate in two baptisms , Jose and Kristina. It's hard to express the joy that was in the room that day. I've been very blessed to be a part of their conversions and to see two families who are now progressing to the temple. I got to eat with the Johnsons and Momma Johnson hooked me up with some food to take back to Mountain View - she is awesome!

Hope you all have a good week.
Love ya'll,
Elder Barker
Jose and Debbie Fernandez, their family and Elder Hack

Kristina, her husband, Elder Hack plus two

Elder Gartside asleep....maybe he was just closing his eyes


No comments:

Post a Comment